Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Week Of Parent Teacher Conferences

(The boys having left over dinner rolls.)


This week I felt like Hunter and I lived in my car. Tanner and Parker both had early release at their schools due to parent teacher conferences. As soon as I would take Tanner to school Parker's school would start, by the time I got Parker off to school I would have a few minutes to clean up then pack up Hunter again to head out and pick up Tanner, and Parker. On top of that you have soccer practices, visiting teaching, grocery shopping and parent teacher conferences.


I met with Tanner's kindergarten teacher on Monday for his first official parent teacher conference. He is doing great, and received all high marks on his first progress report. We are so proud of him. Kindergarten sure isn't the same as when I was growing up. Since the beginning of the school year he has been taught how to tell time, learned most of his phonics, learned to count to 100, skip count, etc.. When I was five, I was finger painting, learning the alphabet, and having nap time. I really like Tanner's teacher and I'm anxious to see him progress with his academics.


I met with Parker's preschool teacher and speech therapist, (Mrs. M) on Thursday. Talk about frustrating! I have really been pushing Mrs. M. to concentrate on the "k" sound with Parker since he has never been able to make this sound. He replaces the "k" sound with a "t" sound. For example when Parker tries to say "cat" it comes out "tat". Anyways, Mrs. M was trying to assure me of Parker's progress by telling me that he can say they "k" sound 40% of the time, I told her that I find this hard to believe since I have never heard him say this sound. She continued to assure me that he can say this sound, however she needed to put a sucker in his mouth to hold his tongue down in order for him to make it. So yes, Parker can make a "k" sound if someone has a sucker on hand and is willing to hold his tongue down. She wanted to send a note to the district office of his progress and I told her the only way I would sign my name acknowledging his progress is if she added the sucker story that she was telling me. Obviously Mrs. M. refused to do so. By the end of the meeting I did have in writing that Parker would receive 20 minutes more of 1 on 1 speech therapy a week. This is actually 20 minutes more than any other special needs child in the whole district. I don't think she'll mess with me again. All in all Parker's preschool teacher only had very positive things to say about him, and he is doing great in school.


Bunco was on Thursday! Thank goodness for bunco! I love getting together with the girls and having fun and talking girl talk. It is the 1 time a month when I get prettied up and get to see girls that I don't see any other time. I really enjoy this once a month activity.


Saturday was chaos as usual. The kids had soccer games on Saturday. They both did a great job and Parker was able to squeak a goal in! Parker's coach let me know that we won't be having practice for the next 2 weeks, YEAH! Right after the last soccer game we headed over to Tait's parents house for lunch. Keri and baby Savannah are in town so it was great to see them. Savannah is so cute! I miss getting to see her more often. Justin took pictures of Hunter and Savannah and I hope that he emails them to me. If I get the pictures I will post them. As soon as we got home from Mesa I headed over to the church to see the R.S. broadcast. It was great as always, what else can I say? On the way home from the church I headed over to a wedding reception that I was invited to. I had a good time over there just hanging out and talking to friends that I normally don't get to spend much time with. By the time I made it home I was ready for bed.


Today has been good so far. Church starts at 8:00, rise and shine! After church Tait had his presidency meeting over here, (he was called to be Y.M. president a few months ago). As soon as the meeting was over, here comes our home teachers, which we love. As soon as they walked out the door Tait left to do his home teaching. It has been quiet since then. Tonight the Bishop wants to come over and give Tait a blessing before he has surgery on Tuesday. We always love having him in our home.


I'm thankful for my family, even though my boys have been driving me crazy. And I'm looking forward to having Tait home for the next 2 weeks even though he won't be any help around the house. I'll write more next Sunday...



0 comments: